At Ling Bob School, Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Education (SMSC) underpins everything we do throughout school. Our intent is to deliver a SMSC curriculum which is accessible to all. It aims to help children become healthy, independent and responsible members of society who understand how they are developing personally and socially. We want our children to have the confidence to tackle many of the moral, social and cultural issues that are part of growing up whilst confidently maintaining their own mental health.
We use the Jigsaw scheme which is a clear and comprehensive scheme of work in line with the National Curriculum and statutory Relationship and Health Education. The scheme, which is personalised to meet the needs of our children, is taught from Reception to Year 6. The weekly lessons have a strong emphasis on emotional discussion, building resilience and nurturing mental and physical health. Cross curricular links are an integral part of or SMSC curriculum, giving the children the opportunity to apply their developing knowledge and skills across a range of subjects and contexts. To enhance our SMSC curriculum, special events are celebrated in school, for example Friendship Week, Mental Health and Wellbeing Week and Money Week. Fundraising events are also planned by our School Council which benefit the school, local community and also developing countries.
The Jigsaw scheme follows the same six units throughout school—one unit is completed each half term. Knowledge is deepened each year and builds on prior learning. Within each unit there are six lessons (or Puzzle Pieces) that aim to provide children with:
- Accurate and relevant knowledge and the confidence which develops alongside it
- Opportunities to create personal understanding through discussion with peers
- Opportunities to explore and challenge a range of values, attitudes, beliefs, rights and responsibilities
- A range of skills and strategies to live a healthy, safe , fulfilling, responsible and balanced life
The Jigsaw units of work (puzzles) are:
- Being Me in My World - Includes understanding my place in the class, school and the global community.
- Celebrating Difference—Includes anti-bullying and diversity work.
- Dreams and Goals—Includes setting goals, aspirations for myself and the world working together..
- Healthy Me— Includes self-esteem and confidence as well as healthy lifestyle choices.
- Relationships—Includes understanding friendship, family and other relationships, conflict resolution and communication skills.
- Changing Me—Includes relationship education in the context of coping positively with change.
The SMSC curriculum will enable the children at Ling Bob School to develop a sense of self-worth, show compassion to others and forge and maintain healthy relationships. They will have a good understanding of how to keep themselves and others safe and show resilience when faced with life’s challenges. Our children will play a positive role in contributing to school life, the wider community and the world. They will be well prepared for succeeding in the next stage of their education and beyond.
Ling Bob J, I & N School, Albert Road, Pellon, Halifax, HX2 0QD